Sunday, November 15, 2015

This is a marathon, not a sprint

Q&A a Day for Creatives: A 4-Year JournalQ&A a Day for Creatives: A 4-Year Journal by Potter Style

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Ask yourself: Can I sketch 1,460 things over the course of four years? Of course you can. Will you?

Q&A a Day for Creatives is 366 pages of blank squares with short prompts begging for you to pick up your favorite medium and get doodling. The pages are set up into quarters, each featuring a spot to write the year so that you can remember when you started. The great thing about this is that if you draw only one thing every day, and that thing is in this book, as you start accumulating doodles throughout the years you will see how much you've progressed with time. Hence, it is a marathon, not a sprint! I think this is also a great way to take ten to fifteen minutes out of every day to unwind with a doodle.

Please note, this is not an Art workbook. It doesn't teach you to draw or demand that you use a specific medium. You can get as crazy (or not) as you want here, whether it be with pens, pencils, watercolors, or crayons. Personally, I think the pages lend themselves best to pencils, pens and crayons. The pages don't have enough tooth for pastels, nor are they thick enough for watercolors. If you don't know what "tooth" on paper is, you probably weren't planning on using pastels anyway, so no worries there.

If you're the type of person that gets overwhelmed by a large blank page, this book is for you! (Because the blanks are smaller, and it isn't totally blank anyway.) If you feel high internal pressure to create masterpieces, take a deep breath and doodle anyway because a lot of the prompts "call" for stick figures anyway. I look forward to doodling a day! Maybe it'll be the only thing I draw, and maybe as I work it'll warm me up for other things. Still, I'm ready to make a commitment to it! Give it a shot and happy sketching!



View all my reviews

This review is based on a free copy I received from Blogging for Books in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment